Sustainable Development Goal 6: Clean Water and Sanitation aims to ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all.
Millions of people around the world lack access to clean water, adequate sanitation and hygiene facilities. This issue is compounded by disasters which may damage existing infrastructure. On our international relief programs, a strategic focus is to implement Renewal Projects which includes Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH).
Our WASH initiatives aim to improve the health of children and community members by reducing the incidence of water and sanitation-related illnesses.
In 2015, Nepal was struck by two devastating earthquakes. More than four years later Shree Manakamana Basic School had yet to receive help. In October 2019, All Hands and Hearts set to work rebuilding the school and five months later we completed:
- 12 disaster-resilient classrooms;
- 50,000 liter underground water retention tank, supported with rainwater harvesting system which holds a year’s supply of water;
- Two refurbished toilet blocks with extra hand washing stations;
- New kitchen building with running water;
- Bio-sand water filtration for safe handwashing and drinking water;
- Beautiful landscaping complete with murals, retaining walls, a playground and basketball court
In addition to the work performed at the school, we also worked alongside the community and local partners to provide:
- Two 20,000 liter water tanks with capacity to serve 80 households;
- Disaster Risk Reduction training and evacuation drills;
- WASH hygiene training, including education on menstrual health and two sanitary pad production workshops;
- Female mason training with four local women;
- Weekly English language lessons for masons and community
The community now has access to safe and disaster-resilient educational facilities, WASH resources and the knowledge they need to create a better future for themselves.
Join us, during this Decade of Action, to build a better future.
Sustainable Development Goals Home | SDG 4 | SDG 6 | SDG 11